At NCS we value diversity and the personal intelligences. Social action and service are wonderful ways to engage and support our students as they foster their intrapersonal and interpersonal intelligences.
During the 2012 - 2013 schoolyear, we developed a parent driven Social Action Committee, comprised of parents, teachers, and children. The goal of the committee is to provide a framework for families to get involved in short term and long term projects. A challenge families found was finding projects appropriate for their young children, so we have identified a number of wonderful and age appropriate activities for all of our NCS students.
New City Social Actions:
New City families have committed to making in a difference in the greater St. Louis Community. Below is a list of some projects and organizations we have supported in recent years.
- Collection for Ferguson Food Pantries
- School supply drive for the Dellwood Community center to benefit Ferguson schools
- Made hundreds of sack lunches for Gateway 180 Homeless shelter, which supports women and children struggling with homelessness
- Clothing collection for the Foster and Adoptive Care Coalition resale store, REFresh
- Visit to Webster Provisions Living Retirement center to perform NCS song favorites, share sweets, and play board games with the residents
- Held a Movie Night to raise funds to help purchase a home for a family in the Dominican Republic
- Visits to the Jewish Food Pantry to create packets of soup mix for their customers, and worked in the warehouse to sort food and personal care donations
- Held a LemonAID Stand and Bakesale, with proceeds donated to Heifer International Nepal, so help victims of the Nepal earthquake